Monday, November 23, 2015

I thought I was ready but I wasn't...I don't want to Face the Raven

This is a review/recap of Saturday's Doctor Who episode (Season 9, Episode 10).  It will contain SPOILERS so don't read further if you haven't watched Face the Raven yet.  I'm not kidding.  Don't get mad at mean because you didn't listen.

This season has been a "nail biter" as far as when & how is our lovable little Clara going to leave.  So every episode you are like "OMG is this it?  This is it!" and the Doc swoops in and saves the day, as usual.  This episode was no different.  What we are starting to see this season is someone CLEARLY wants to hurt The Doctor but who and why. 

We have The Doctor and Clara running off to save an old friend, Rigsy.  I don't really remember Rigsy but apparently he was "significant" in a previous episode.  He has, of all things, a new tattoo that is counting down to zero.  He has been memory wiped and is terrified for his family.

The adorable part...the Doctor with the "new human".  He seems to just melt around Rigsy's little girl.  It's kind of adorable in a Twelve kind of way.  So after some T.A.R.D.I.S testing and guessing they figure out that Rigsy stumbled into a "Trap Street" (pardon me...a what?!?).  Doc thinks its a "hidden" street.  Something in plain sight that we can't see because technology is telling our brains its not there.  We have the T.A.R.D.I.S flying over London with Clara dangling out of it like a nut looking for the street.  She is 100% an adrenaline junkie and I think it's starting (continuing) to frighten The Doctor.  She is more jeopardy friendly than ever and she is getting reckless.

So they find the street and we are immediately thrown into a darker version Diagon Alley.  It was quite creepy, especially once you realize everyone you see is camouflaged by a kind of perception filter.  They look human but they aren't.  Somehow Rigsy has committed murder but he doesn't remember why or how.  Ashildr (or Me) shows up as the leader....Mayor...whatever of this ragtag bunch.  She says Rigsy did it and is sentenced to death by Quantum Shade (WTF?!?).

There is some sleuthing and we see another member of this "society" freaking out.  He has stolen from the commune and shall "Face the Raven".  The clock strikes zero as his wife BEGS him to give it to her but he refuses.  The creepy caged Raven turns to smoke and dives into the "man", killing him.  The Raven comes out of his mouth as black smoke and I suddenly had flashbacks to Supernatural (its a Demon, right!??! Oh wait wrong show).  This gives Clara (who is under Ashildr's protection) the STUPID idea of taking the sentence from Rigsy because Ashildr wont kill her (see RECKLESS!) and it will give them more time to find out what really happened.

Stuff happens and then we find out Ashildr tricked them and just needed the Doc to show up so she could turn him over to someone else.  The lady wasn't murdered, Rigsy is innocent, so she goes to remove the tattoo...the problem is, it is on Clara now...Ashildr can't remove it.  Transferring the tattoo cancels the contract and Ashildr is removed as the authority.  Clara will die.

I was in denial.  I kept saying "this isn't it.  no.  this isn't how she dies.  WTF Doctor Who!?!?" Then it happens.  Clara gives the speech...The Doctor tears up...and I am now a sobbing mess on my couch.  “Don’t run. Stay with me.” That line right there broke me into a million pieces.  I might not have loved Clara last season with the Danny Pink BS but I loved her before and after.  She knows him so well and he knows her.  He's angry, she knows he will rip the universe apart to save her or destroy it to avenge her.  He can't lose his impossible girl.  So she helps him along...this is what sealed the deal for me.  This had me crying well after the credits rolled:

Clara: You. Now you listen to me. You're going to be alone now, and you're very bad at that. You're going to be furious and you're going to be sad, but listen to me. Don't let this change you. No, listen. Whatever happens next... wherever she is sending you, I know what you're capable of. You don't need to be a warrior. Promise me. Be a Doctor.
The Doctor: What's the point of being a Doctor if I can't cure you?
Clara: Heal yourself. You have to. You can't let this turn you into a monster. So... I'm not asking you for a promise. I'm giving you an order. You will not insult my memory. There will be no revenge. I will die, and no-one else, here or anywhere, will suffer.
The Doctor: What about me?
Clara: If there was something I could do about that, I would. I guess we're both just going to have to be brave.

(I'm fine I just have something in my eye, like a twig or a tree branch)

Then she runs into the street and the raven slams into her.  She dies.  She f**king dies!  And now the Doc will be transported to who knows where because Ashidr or Me or whatever her name has betrayed him to save her "people".

We flash to Rigsy (I remember him now, he was from Flatline...the graffiti dude) and he has decorated the now abandoned T.A.R.D.I.S. with a memorial to Clara.  And now I am sobbing again. 

Honestly the entire episode was just okay.  I mean it wasn't as bad as last week...murderous sleep boogers...really?!?!?!  But I wasn't overly involved in the story like I have been in the past.  It was an interesting murder mystery but it fell a little flat.  The redeeming feature of it was Clara's death which I hate that that is what "saved" this  episode.  Had she not had such an amazing, and by amazing I mean heart wrenching, send off I would have been almost bored and really annoyed with Me.  Actually I am really annoyed with Me....WTF you old bat!?!? Or maybe I realized this would be it for Clara so I didn't want to like it. 



Source

I'm fine, its fine, I'm fine *sniffle*


No comments:

Post a Comment