Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Blonde & Blue (Alexa O'Brien Huntress Book 4) - My Thoughts

I love Alexa, I really really do. She is a strong, takes no one's shit kind of woman. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books so far but this one was lacking for me. I still enjoyed it but it didn't leave me wanting more like the others. There are spoilers below.  If you don't want to know skip to the very last paragraph. 

This entire book is Alexa trying to control her never ebbing hunger for blood (bloodlust). And I get that this is a big deal but it really wasn't that interesting and there was minimal "bedroom" time. Let me clarify, I don't read these books for the mind blowing moments with her, Shaz and Arys. I read them because she is constantly proving that people underestimate her, the hot stuff is lagniappe. Her uncontrollable draw to Kale is annoying (read previous post about wanting to slap a book character). I like Kale but he scares me and we already have a love triangle with her white wolf and dark vamp. Which is a bit weird at times.  Adding another, extremely unpredictable vamp (he tried to kill JEZ!!!) is, well risky and I don't want to lose either of the first two. Having him pine after her, fine but for her to have feelings for him too and risk Arys and Shaz, uh NO. It is just a bit much and thankfully towards the end she realizes this. I know this is primarily a werewolf series but I like Arys. He is by far my favorite character behind Alexa. I like Shaz too but he doesn't appeal to me in that way, I guess. He is wholesome and human-ish and seemingly perfect. Arys is none of that and doesn't pretend to be which is um yea.

There were multiple semi-climatic moments in the book but they weren't as exciting as before. They were decent but kind of "meh". I guess this book for me was more of a filler. We needed info about the bond with Alexa and Arys, threw in some demons & angels and had some big baddies try to kill Alexa. Add the unexpected drama with Shaz liking being bitten by vamps and you have a decent story just not one that blew my mind.

Then there was the birthday chapter which was...wow, I mean wow...but it wasn't as wow as some other times. It seemed forced.  Plus the aggressiveness, the forcing that she seems to like made me cringe a bit. Rough and passionate is one thing, ultimate domination with no regard for the pain being inflicted is a whole other level. Its fine just not my thing.  It of course tapered off again and I thought well this is going to leave me even more "meh". But the last page...it did it for me "I saw her again in my dreams, the wolf". Holy shit he's been dreaming about her since before she even existed!!!!! I immediately decided Book 5 should be purchased right about, NOW.

Maybe not as mind blowing, adrenaline rushing as previous books but it does give a bit more insight into what is going on with Arys & Alexa. Plus it introduced some other beings that clearly play a large part in upcoming books.

So I give it 3 out of 5 stars.  Not bad but not great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment