Monday, November 10, 2014

Doctor Who: Death in Heaven Thoughts

Just when I thought this would be a season finale that WOULDN'T make me cry...I started to cry.  Bastards!  I actually had makeup on for once and ended up with streaks down my face.  Throw real life at me and I am hard as stone, limited emotions...put on a fictional television show and I am sobbing.  I have issues.  I can't believe I have to say this but SPOILERS below.  Don't read if you haven't watched Saturday's season finale.

On to the show.  WHAT!?  So in the previews we saw last week they made it look like suddenly Clara didn't exist.  Which was a holy sh*t moment.  Then in the first few minutes we learn its a ploy to trick the cybermen into thinking she's The Doctor...sneaky sneaky Mister Writer.  Anyway, I wasn't scared for her, it wasn't creepy for me.  Honestly the whole part was meh, even when we realize that Danny Pink is a rogue Cyberman trying to help her.  I felt nothing about it.  I know, weird. 

Now, showing Missy and the Doctor, that had me laughing and freaking out all in the same breath.  She is a nut...and I loved it.  Is it sad that I liked the psychopath?  And she played a wonderful psychopath, truly believable.  She successfully portrayed the Master's insanity. She was hilarious and terrifying at the same time, purely awesome.   When UNIT showed up I was confused.  I like Kate and Osgood having another appearance so, whoohoo.  I still don't get why UNIT likes to drug the Doctor.  It makes no sense.  Yes, he has a habit of running off but I would think he is better awake rather than asleep. 

Did anyone else go "President of Earth?!?!?" and then laugh hysterically when they said it was the Doctor.  To me that seemed like a pointless mention.  It was like it was created just to be a joke but they didn't execute the joke very well.  Anyway I didn't understand why they went there...maybe I should re-watch and see if I missed something.  Of course when they flash over to Missy and she is singing, I had to pause the show because I was laughing so hard.  That was comedic gold and yet terrifying...I mean she is utterly bonkers. 

So they killed Osgood and I was pissed.  Yes I know she's only been a short term character but I really liked her and thought she would be at least a fun temporary companion.  I get that her death was to illustrate the insanity of Missy.  She is someone we liked therefore killing her (a bit of a fangirl..."Bow ties are cool") versus an unknown person made sense but I don't have to like it.  Then when Kate flew out the plane I lost my shit.  You jerk!  Why did you kill both of them?!?!?!  *screaming*

Moving on...there was an awful, just gut wrenching part with Clara and Cyber Danny.  I mean I never really felt anything about there relationship.  I liked him and I did like her for the most part.  She annoyed me a bit this season.  Anyways I liked the individual characters but I never felt like their being in love was believable.  None the less the exchange in the graveyard was horrid.  And Danny calling out the Doctor for being well the Doctor was irritating but it was good.  Hell someone has to do it. 

So up until this point, I was laughing, I was a little sad but not crying and I was "Meh" about the episode as a whole.  It wasn't bad, I just wasn't really feeling it.  Missy comes back and does this grand gesture for the Doctor.  Which I guess illustrates the level of obsession the Master seems to have with the Doctor.  It is a bit frightening.  The madness within being construed into a weird sort of affection...a need to please the ex best friend but also destroy him at the same time.  It was weird and of course the rogue Danny still being Danny and sacrificing himself to save Earth...it was nice but rushed and confusing.  I did like the concept that even the upgrade couldn't overwrite Love because "Love isn't an emotion, it is a promise".  What's that noise...oh that's just my heart fracturing a little.  Again, sad and happy but not overly so.  It made me smile but I still was meh.  Truthfully the whole episode was rushed.  It was a good idea but not quite executed fully.

After the "killing" of Missy, which by the way she better not really be dead, I was angry.  She is a great contrast yet eerily similar to the Doctor and that should be explored further.  I want her warped Mary Poppins ass to come back and wreak havoc!  She burst into blue flames which I was hoping meant she transported but apparently she was blasted by yet ANOTHER rogue cyberman .  "Did we run out of ideas???"  "What in the world?!?!  Who the eff is that?!?!"  Snap to Kate on the ground...ALIVE, I immediately went "no...No...NOOOOOO freaking way...no...its *tears*, I hate him being a cyberman but...*sniffle* OMG".  It was her father...are you kidding me...I'm not crying, you're crying.  Then the Doctor saluted him and my controlled trickle became a waterfall because they had the Brigadier in the season finale...well "in spirit"...and the Doctor saluted him and I just may have died a little.  No wait, yea I died, my heart completed its fracturing.  Even in death he was defending the Earth, helping the Doctor and protecting his daughter.  He "killed" the Master...okay yea the Doctor is saved yet again from doing something violent but at least Clara didn't have to do it and if anyone else had a beef with the Master (beside the Doctor) it would be him...he met him on various occasions...right?!? 

Anyway, the ending pissed me off!  She's unhappy and he's unhappy and they lied to each other so the other wouldn't know they were unhappy.  The level of "that is a toxic relationship" is off the charts.  You are supposed to be BEST FRIENDS dammit.  Tell him that Danny didn't come back...that he saved this boy he killed instead....TELL HIM.  And you, you arse, tell her Missy lied and you did NOT find Gallifrey...TELL HER.  Tell her you had a break down in the console room mainly because holy bejesus that part hurt.  It ends with a hug..."never trust a hug, it's just a way to hide your face".  Dammit I'm going to cry again.  Stupid characters and their stupid trying to act tough...stupid, *sigh*.

So those are my thoughts.  I didn't hate it but it wasn't mind blowing.  Of course by the end I was a mess so I guess I became more emotionally invested as it went on. 

The preview for the Christmas Special had me giddy! I love Nick Frost and to have him playing Santa that is a win win in my book.  If Simon Pegg doesn't make a surprise appearance as like a grouchy elf or something, I will be sorely disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment