Tuesday, January 1, 2019

A Hideous Beauty: Kingdom Wars I - Jack Cavanaugh

I give it three stars but only because its ending was redeeming.

I have mixed feelings on this one.  On the one hand I like the premise.  Its Supernatural meets West Wing.  Actually there was literally an entire season of Supernatural dealing with a not so good President and meddling angels but I digress.

We are following the mishaps of Grant Austin.  Pulitzer Prize winning author for his book on the President currently in office.  What he doesn't know is he is just a pawn.  Forces are in control and he played right into their hands.  He apparently is an attractive man with a weird sense of humor.  He sounds like someone I would like but he is written in a way that I almost couldn't stand him.  Women weren't represented well at first either.  I mean the first thing I do when I meet a new female friend is not have a girl power pow wow about our mutual ex and talk about clothes but whatever.  Nor do I fly off the handle easily, actually I don't know many women that actually do.  But maybe me and my friends are different and other females would get unexplainably jealous and irrational because of a complete misunderstanding.

Moving on, once we know Grant's purpose in this wondrous world it got better.  Too bad that was 3/4 of the way into the book.  But once we see the whole crazy situation laid out it got way more interesting.  I really don't like how Grant handles everything but I was rooting for him in the end.  I felt for him.  How could someone as insignificant as him be so important in the grande scheme of things.  How can a normal guy be so important to the war between good an evil.  How can one man change the world?  Grant is going to find out.

I liked the book eventually but getting to the better side of Grant took forever.  I know he is written to be a sarcastic butt but its a bit much.  I will probably read book two because of the ending.  So if you like a twisty Good vs Evil book, give it a try.  Just be forewarned the main character can be a beating at times.

I got this book for free from Netgalley to read and give my honest review.  

**SPOILERS**



I am not opposed to a story of a Nephilim but this was an odd telling of it.  Grant is a jerk, sorry but he is.  He says and does things without thinking.  I know we all do this sometimes but he does it ALL THE TIME.   he is horrible at diffusing situations and makes them worse.  He is the epitome of making stupid decisions.  If he would have stopped and thought without making emotional knee-jerk decisions this would have been a better, more believable tale.

Also, I was not aware that Nephilim were shunned by God.  I must have missed that in Sunday school.
 But they are still part human.  Still have free will.  They can't help who their parents are...  Anyway, I hate that Grant is basically doomed to suffer in hell because his grandaddy is a fallen angel.

Moving on, he made the right decision in the end.  Of all the stupid crap he does.  Of all the sarcastic comments at the wrong time.  He chose the light.  He is given a mark from our maker himself and is protected from further retribution from his life long nemesis Myles aka a demon or any of his friends.

I'm hoping its not like the mark of cain but we shall see I guess.  He clearly has a lot more to face in life, I just hope his leading ladies and himself aren't written so superficially in the next chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment