Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Is anyone watching Incorporated?

So I was really excited about this show when I first saw the previews.  Its a show about a dystopian future where the government collapses and Corporations take over.  It had some familiar faces in it from other SyFy shows and sounded intriguing. 

With that said I am totally hooked.  The first few episodes were a little slow but they have to explain WTF is happening.  After that its almost addictive.  I say this because the subject came up over the holidays and some family were like "it sucks" and "I am so disappointed".  At that point I think 4 Episodes had aired but they had only watched the Pilot and Ep 2.  My thing is you always give new shows a few episodes to ramp up.  I usually say 4 or 5 because in the first couple they are trying to catch you up to what is going on.  Plus how can you connect with characters after 1 or 2 episodes...you don't know them yet.  That's why I hate it when shows are canceled after 1 or 2 episodes, or even 5.  The network didn't even give it a chance. 

Anyways, I binge watched three episodes last night because with the holidays I didn't get to watch them.  They were over in a blink.  I need more!

Seriously though.   There is so much going on in the present but the last two episodes gave us a glimpse into the past.  Why Ben is doing what he is doing and why Laura is so scared to go outside the wall.  Why Julian is the way he is.  The premise of the show is about privileged vs poor but it goes so much deeper than that.  How can you decide who should be saved from the suffering? 

It really is sobering.  You have people living this lavish life.  Its the future we all dream of where wealth is prevalent, technology has advanced, and health is priority.  But then just a mile or so away, on the other side of a wall people can barely survive. They are on rations which are barely enough to sustain them.  They have horrible healthcare (or no healthcare).  They police are corrupt.  There is basically no way out of the slums (refugee camps).  You can't move into the rich people world without becoming a sex slave because you were born on the wrong side of the wall.  Unless you are Ben...then you can con your way in.

Its an awful future.  But Ben gives us hope.  Then you realize its because he wants to save his love from being a corporate call girl.  So it isn't to save humanity, its for his own personal gain but maybe...just maybe some snowball effect may occur.  Something needs to change!  Unfortunately the only thing changing is Ben.  He is on thin ice.  He is making mistakes.  And he is willing to kill to keep his secret (and family) safe.  Its sometimes hard to watch.

Personally, I think its a great show.  I hope it survives because I think it has lots of potential.  SyFy shows are my weakness....

**SPOILERS**

Ben clearly cares for Laura (his corp wife) but he is obsessed with Elena.  I know she is his love and he wants to save her but at what cost?  Laura isn't a bad corp person.  She was just born into it.  She actually wants to help those on the outside.  She has a good heart.  I bet if he told her it wouldn't be bad.  I kind of want them to make it.  I don't really know much about Elena but I think Laura deserves a chance.  Her mom on the other hand, I am not sure about her.  She has ulterior motives for everything.  Now Julian  scared me the first few episodes but after the last episode, I really like him.  He is just doing his job. He didn't want to be the corp interrogator...the heartless bad guy.  I say good riddance to Caplan...he was awful...that actor seems to always play the bad guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment