Thursday, July 5, 2018

Obscura - Joe Hart

This is a wonderfully written yet disturbing story. In the not so distant future we have reached a tipping point. Our beautiful blue marble is dying. Humanity has no choice but to look for a new home. In addition to this we are plagued by a new disease. It targets young and old, related and unrelated. There is no cure...there is no predicting it but once you have it you are done. Its a slow, tortuous death. Not just for you but for your loved ones who have to watch you slowly forget them...yourself...everything. 

We are following Gillian a Doctor, mother, and now Astronaut who is on the verge of curing this awful disease. She has her own issues and reasons for wanting a cure but when NASA calls upon her she goes...a tad unwillingly but she goes. This book is a total mystery. From the opening pages to the last line. Its a roller coaster of emotion and distrust. There is the dying Earth, the incurable disease, a new technology that could change the future of humanity, and death...lots of death. Its a whodunit wrapped up in a what would you do. And it has space travel so win win win, right?! 

I absolutely loved this book. I was confused, concerned, disturbed, terrified, and happy. The whole gambit of emotions. Just when I thought I knew what to expect something else slapped me in the face. I didn't know who to trust. Half the time I didn't even trust Gillian and it was from her POV. I wanted to love so many of the characters but I just didn't know. The only one I fully trusted was Birk, he was an open book. In a heartbeat I would recommend this book. Anyone who loves a good murder mystery and/or sci-fi should read it. It is by far one of the better near future space travel books I've read, and I've read quite a few. Check it out, you wont be sorry.

SPOILERS in the jump




I thought every one went crazy and DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously until the last 4th of the book I thought Gillian was crazy from the withdrawls. I loved her but It just didn't make sense and addiction can make you do some crazy stuff. But her love for her daughter Carrie. I also couldn't see her jeopardizing that! She is an amazing character. She is broken but she is so strong. I can't imagine watching your husband slip away into madness. And then having a daughter, your only reason for living start to show the same symptoms. Heart breaking!

Carson, I wanted to love him. I wanted him to be good but the entire book I just didn't trust him. Then he turns out to be the good guy. And I wanted so badly for him to live and be with Gillian (and Carrie) back home. When he died I wanted to scream. Gillian had a friend, someone she trusted with her life and he was killed by the crazies.

Then Birk, oh Birk the loveable giant swede. I hated his demise but he saved Gillian. He saved her. He was the truest friend she could ever have and those crazies murdered him!

The space station crew. I just was floored. The "dealer" kept it so well hidden. This new tech that can "freeze you" and re-materialize you elsewhere is causing some insanity. There is a toll to pay for this and its your memories but the pull, the addiction is so strong they don't care. They don't care that they'll become a shell, a soulless animal in human form. Its a terrifying thing, but something that can be all too real.

The shuttle crew is actually quite amazing. They start off meh and become some of my favs. Easton was rough around the edges but I liked him. He and Gillian are literally the last men standing. He sacrifices himself so she can live. So she can go home and tell them what happened. She has cured Losians and found out the new tech is flawed...someone needs to know.

I was so happy she made it home. I was so happy she was able to give Carrie the treatment. Its not a cure but it keeps the disease at bay. I was so happy she had a semi-normal life, even if everyone thinks she is dead. I was just happy, well sad happy but still happy. That epilogue, is just one of the best I've read. Especially the last few paragraphs. She goes back to NASA and sees a stream, sees that Easton shifted out also. But he didn't go home to Earth. He went to the shuttle sent out to the new potential "Earth". I teared up. "Catching another clear reflection of the strange new world....Easton laughed. 'And you won't believe what I'm seeing right now'." I was near tears because that is hope. Humanity is on the verge of extinction but Easton made it to a new world...that gives us hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment